I decided to take this week (mostly) off from work and take a well-deserved vacation. This entire semester, and especially the last couple of weeks, I've been working crazy long hours to finish my dissertation (like get to work before 10am, don't leave till almost 9pm kinda hours).
What have I done this week? Well, I caught up on a lot of on-demand TV, I visited the dog park a few times with Barkley, I dropped B off and picked him up from his new job, and I also emailed a bunch of people a bunch of things. One of those emails was to my new chair, asking her for recommendations for a 'buyers agent' for which to buy a house.
Yes, we are buying a house! Hopefully, if we can find something in time to move down there in July (If not we are going to rent). I emailed the buyers agent yesterday and plan to go on a trip down to our new area in a few weeks, check out a ton of houses, and pick a few that we like. B will probably not be coming with me due to said new job, but I'm going to take pictures of the places I really like and email them to him. Then we will hopefully put in a bid on our top choice, and do other stuff from afar.
Meanwhile, this guy emailed me back with some info on a mortgage company ahhh!!! Shit TOTALLY just got real. We also have to come up with a list of what we want in our dream house. So, readers, what things would you look for in a dream house? This is the list we have so far:
1. Large fenced in backyard for Barkley
2. Attached garage preferable, if not detached garage or carport (they have a lot of carports in the south apparently)
3. 3-4 bedrooms
4. 2+ bathrooms
5. Decently sized kitchen with lots of cabinet and counter space
6. hardwood floors preferred over carpets
7. NOT a 'fixer upper'
8. In a good public school district
9. Close to my new job but not *too* close so that I am running into my students every time I open the door (and not in a student neighborhood either).
10. Preferably a giant wrap around porch (or front/back porch of some kind)
11. preferably near a park or somewhere where it would be nice to walk with Barkley.
12. Central air conditioning
So readers, what other things should we be thinking about?