Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Gotta go back, back, back to school again

It's the first day of school! I'm now in 21st grade! Yes, I have been in school for 21 years, not counting kindergarten or preschool or any of that.

Ok technically the first day of school is tomorrow, but today is the first year student orientation, and I have to go to a departmental brunch, and then I'm giving a little shpeil at lunch about "things I wish I knew when I was just starting grad school." I just tried to spellcheck "shpeil" and the suggestion it gave me was "Fleshpot" (What? That's a word? Sounds naughty).

In my 21st grade of school, I'm not entirely a student anymore. My transcript has changed my title from "doctoral student" to "doctoral candidate." I haven't taken a class in over a year now. This weekend I went shopping for some new school clothes! Only now my school clothes are button down shirts and fancy pants and a new blazer...what some would call 'work clothes.' Starting tomorrow I'm teaching a night class which is the only class-related activity i'll be engaging in this semester.

I guess there's not that much difference between the summer and the semester. I still worked long hours all summer, usually not coming home till 7 or 8. But there's something qualitatively different...apart from having to teach, everything just feels more busy in the semester. And I always get a lot more done. And this year I have to, since I'm supposed to finish my dissertation and all. The first chapter is due in a little over a month, and I have not yet written a single word.

Me and B spent the last weekend of the summer just staying in with each other, cooking awesome meals and watching a whole bunch of tv. Yesterday we watched a star trek: the next generation marathon. I haven't watched this show since I was a kid (and they were new), but I have to say...this show is awesome! Much better than the stuff that passes for sci fi shows these days...

Well now I better go get showered and ready for the first departmental brunch of the year. I probably won't be around as much now that the semester is starting up again..that's how academia goes. Happy first day of school to anyone else who is going back this week! And an even happier first day of school for those of you whose kids are going back! :)

13 comments:

  1. Have a good and successful year. My kids already have homework :(
    (which means I have homework).

    ReplyDelete
  2. No new backpack for me, I keep everything in my office so I don't really have a need for a backpack

    And Judah- I always check my blog and sometimes post right in the morning when I wake up, while eating breakfast. This morning I woke up at 6:30...

    ReplyDelete
  3. wake up at 6:30am?!?!? what kind of college student schedules a class before 11am?

    Also, I wanted to e-mail you something funny offline, but you don't have a contact e-mail anywhere on the blog. Can you e-mail me at homepainting@gmail.com

    Rich
    http://frustratedorthojew.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a grad student, not a college student. :) (I teach college students, so according to me there is a distinction). And I had to be at school at like 8:30 this morning for a departmental brunch- hence the early awakening.

    Ok, honestly, I just passed out at like 10:30 last night which is why I woke up so early.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, i'm a college student and i get up at 7 45! and i scheduled classes starting at 9 every day, mon-fri!
    so there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah when I was an undergrad I got up at 6:30 every morning, since I had to be at school to open up the student center (where I worked as an receptionist) at 8:30. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went for several semester with classes beginning at 11am or 1pm. There was one required class for my major that was at 9am, but that was the earliest class i ever had.

    I would also schedule my classes so that I had some days off if I had to have an early class.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Over from BHJ's blog. Looking forward to reading more after seeing your profile. I am a recovering Catholic. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just stumbled upon your bloggity blog...

    I'm started school this week, too. I work full-time all year round so there isn't a huge distinction between summer and fall for me, either.

    Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, I think you might be educated by now! That's a whole lotta schooling, girlfriend!

    I have a question I'd like to ask you but not in the comment section. I could not find an email address for you, but could you please email me at lisamunley@ca.rr.com? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments are enabled for now