Saturday, August 16, 2008

whats up internets

No one awake and posting before 7:30am on a Saturday morning? What's wrong with ya'll!!

Actually..what's wrong with me? I've gotten in this crazy habit of coming home from work around 6 or 7, eating dinner with B, turning on the tv and passing out on the couch, before briefly waking up and moving to my bed. This usually goes down between 8:30 and 9:30pm. What the hell? Then I wake up bright and early at 4 or 5 or 6 the next morning.

I actually kind of like being awake that early. B is alseep, as is the rest of the city. It's dark out but getting lighter, and I feel like I'm the only one in the universe. If I still smoked cigarettes, 5am would be a great time to sit on my porch and smoke one. I can spend hours playing around on the internets or reading a book on the porch or just hanging with my kitties, before I have to start showering and getting ready for work. Or before I start tinkering around with my work from home. Or before I get dressed and head off to the farmers market. Or the coffee shop. Or before I start doing nothing at all but sit on the couch with B, watching movies on demand. Depending on the day of the week.

Today I think I'm going to spend a few more minutes reading the news, and then work on job applications. I've expanded my search to 5 schools, including 1 ivy league school that I don't think I will get a job at, and if I do, I don't think I would want to work at. Who wants to work 90 hours a week until they get tenure, and always be under pressure to be publishing work in the top sociology journals OR ELSE? Not me! But they are looking to hire someone with exactly the subfield and interests that I have, so I figure I might as well throw my name in there.

Meanwhile the move yesterday went mostly great. All my stuff fit into my new office, with room to spare (I have a bookshelf and a filing drawer that are both mostly empty), and we managed to eat breakfast, move everything, unpack all the boxes and put everything away, set up my computer and clean my old office, in the hour and 45 minutes before our metered parking ran out.

B hurt himself though, before we even got to my office- we were sitting outside my building, eating breakfast, and when he got up he tripped over the wire that ties the chairs to the tables (most normal chairs don't have those wires! He's not often on my campus! How would he know!), fell over with the chair, and now has a crazy large and intense bruise on the side of his ass. All day long yesterday we kept checking it as it got darker and darker. It was disgustingly dark when I passed out at 8:30, and who knows how bad it will be today.

3 comments:

  1. http://blessourhearts.blogspot.com/2008/04/how-to-get-ass-like-jennifer-lopezs.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. know what all this waking up early means?

    you may think you're hardcore rebellious make-your-own-way transgressive independent sociologist queen... but you're actually just Old. :-P ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments are enabled for now