So it turns out the shelter that was giving us the run around ended up adopting the dog we wanted to a different family. :(
We also filled out an application for a basset hound rescue place. Didn't hear back from them for a few days.
Then yesterday we went to the SPCA and looked at the dogs there. The dogs were like 95% pitbulls. We met a really sweet Alaskan Husky dog that was just a little too barky, and also found a nice sweet pitbull-pug(we think) mix that had been given up by their former owner because they were in the military and were transfered overseas. There was also someone else previously interested in that dog, so there's a possibility it will be adopted to that person instead. We filled out an application, but the SPCA requires a letter from our landlord saying we could have dogs, which we didn't have on us. Got home last night and emailed the landlord for a letter, and she hasn't gotten back to us yet.
Meanwhile, this morning the basset hound rescue place called us up for a phone interview. She asked a lot of questions like about how I had gotten my kitties, and she seemed very impressed that all 3 of them were rescues. She also seemed impressed by the food we feed them (Nutro) and the fact that we both work part time so that we are in and out of the house all day.
So we have decided that, for now, we are going to try and see if we can get a basset. It's a lot more expensive than the SPCA ($200 vs. $75) but we get the breed we actually want, and we get to rescue a basset from a life of doom (In fact she was telling us how they just rescued 5 bassets from a puppy mill...awww). They are also more likely to be housetrained and not traumatized, because they are all living in foster homes, and not in a big smelly kennel. We are supposed to call the president of the organization on Tuesday night to find out if our application has been approved. We are still going to get the letter from the landlord in case this goes wrong, but this rescue has tons of bassets, so as long as our application goes through we should be set.
This is turning out to be quite the quest for a dog! Here has been our quest so far:
1) 12/31: Went to a pet store adoption hours, but the humane society never showed up that day. Got lost on the way there
2) 12/31: Went to a small rescue downtown (lots of traffic to get there), but they only had 3 dogs at the time, and they were all huge
3) 1/2: Went to the rescue last week, got lost on the way there as well, called back the shelter 5 times over a week only to have them tell us they had given away the dog yesterday
4) 1/9: went to the SPCA, got SUPER lost on the way there (like we had to turn around twice because we couldn't figure out hot to get onto the street we needed to turn onto. Twice.).
5) 1/10 Had a 45 minute phone interview with the basset rescue place.
Wow we've gotten lost on the way to 3/4 shelters we went to. :)